Friday, December 4, 2009

Leek Quiche


 
 
I've always wanted to learn how to make quiches. After all, it's my gradma's milenar tradition to make them for family parties. But I never had the guts to make them, 'til now. I thought it would give me a lot of work to roll out the pastry, or make the filling. But, in an ironic opposition to what I was thinking, the recipe iwa really easy and we made it quite quickly. Bruno and I made and rolled out the pastry. He's a wonderful helper in the kitchen! And, besides that, he helped me slicing the leeks and the scallions. Just a great family program! The recipe comes from a dear friend's lovely blog, who wanted to share this delish with us. Mamá, this is for you!!!
 
Leek Quiche
from here

Ingredients:

Pastry:

2 cups flour
125 g cold butter
1 whole egg
50 ml filtered water
Salt

Filling:

2 leeks, slices only until the light green part
3 whole eggs
1 can cream (aprox. 330ml) - I used heavy cream
Salt,  pepper and mustard
1 or 2 scallions

Directions:

Pastry: In your working table, that can be inside the pie pan, pour the flour and work until crumbly. Mix the salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg and mixture with the water and stir the mixture into the crumble. Roll out the pastry until it easily comes off of your hands. You shouldn't take long to do this. The crust shall be homogeneous. Ball it and refrigerate while you make the filling.

Filling: Slice the leeks as indicated and set apart. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the cream and the seasonings - you'd better use a high-quality mustard, as strong as possible. Add the leaks and scallions and set apart.

Take the pastry out of the fridge and open it in a medium pie pan. Crimp edges. With a fork, puncture the pastry. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake it in low-medium heat for about 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. I so love quiche. I bet this was good with the delicate flavor of the leeks.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renata,

    Leek quiche, this is a great idea. I make one with onions, but I bet this is just great.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm quiche with a lovely salad is definitely a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always wanted to make quiche too but never did, thanks for sharing your grandma's recipe!

    ReplyDelete